Selling candles in altoid tins?

I recently discovered a hobby I enjoy doing where I take empty altoid tins and make candles in them by melting down tea candles. I’ve been having a lot of fun with different scents, colors, sizes, and decorating the tins. But once I make them, it’s like I have 20 candles lying around but nothing to do with them. Not to mention, it takes money to buy supplies. Would it be a weird or stupid or horrible idea to try to sell them? Would that be something people would be interested in? If so, what price?

• drip
    Favorite Answer

You can always spray paint the tins,

But I can imagine them burning for very long at all.

Figure out how much money is in each completed tin. How long it took you to make one tin. How much do you want to make per hour. Is that a realistic price that will sell?

Check out small local craft fairs in your area. See how much it is to have a small stall there to sell them.

Djekbsbsjwnbekejebejkejene

I would do try the craft fair route.

Sounds cute. Cover the tins with chalk paint and do a little decoupage with cute Victorian or nature clip art. This would be a lot of work though.

Yesssssssssssssss

First, it isn't illegal to use Altoid tins which you'd fill with candle wax and perhaps also decorate and then sell (see my comment to Pat Wooden above). We cover/embellish Altoid tins all the time with polymer clay in many ways and some clayers also sell them, and other materials are sometimes used for decorating them too.

I can see people buying these for various uses (and cool idea, plus not sure many others are doing this so you'd have less competition):

...emergencies, so the candles would be protected in a hard tin, and wouldn't "lose" the lid (perhaps including a book of matches inside or a few wood matches with a bit of striking material in a ziptop bag or Food Saver-ed)

...hiking/camping (so the candles would be protected while in backpacks, etc)

...just as fun candles to burn anytime (perhaps with decorations inside the lid, as well as decoration outside)

...or mini "shrines"

You'd want to find the best market for the candles-in-tins you want to make. That might be a niche market (e.g., goth or other specific-theme decorations, hiking, emergencies, younger or older people, etc. Or it might be the venue (e.g., selling to friends, students, etc, or selling online at etsy, ebay, etc, or selling at consignment stores, or selling at craft fairs, etc.)

There's info you may be interested in for things to think about when selling crafts on these pages at my polymer clay site (but would apply to most any art/craft):

http://glassattic.com/polymer/business.htm

http://glassattic.com/polymer/shows.htm

The price would depend on how much you could charge for all supplies including any decoration, for your time, for your creativity, for how well you market and find the best venues, etc.

• Diane B.

The reason it wouldn't be illegal to sell Altoid tins is that you (or someone else) has already paid for the use of the logo, etc, so Altoids has gotten their payment. After that, the tin itself can be resold or modified and sold, or destroyed, etc, etc--whatever the owner wants.

You could have a copywright problem, because you are profiting from selling a product that includes the Altoid tin, logo and brand name. You would be better off finding a plain tin on the internet.

• Lv 4

good comment,since it seems akin to selling a preowned car thats had a luggage rack added, & maybe been repainted

That's kinda sketchy. You'd be better off learning how to make real candles and selling those for profit. Not many people are going to buy a candle in an altoid tin. Candle making is actually a good hobby to have but so many people do it that you need to offer a unique product. Do some research if you are serious about wanting to make money. take care.