Neere asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 7 months ago

How do I stop Windows 10 from updating on my computer?

I have a problem with my computer, and boy is it a long story.

It all began when I first started getting update notifications for windows 10. Being the person that I am, I didnt want to update my computer and have to shut down and whatnot. So I would always postpone it, until it started updating without giving me a choice if i wanted to or not. I didnt like this, so I went and asked windows help if they could stop it from updating. I gave this nice lady access to my computer, and she went inside and shut down automatic restarts. You'd think my problem would end here, right?

Wrong. A few months go by, and I'm working as usual on my computer. I go to turn on my computer, which I had put to sleep the other day. To my dismay, I notice it had shut down. This happens occasionally, so I was semi-okay with it. Then, it sends me a pop-up saying that Windows 10 wants to update again. What?? I thought I had solved this. Setting it to update at another time, I do my work then put the computer to sleep as usual. The next day (today) I open my computer to see not only has it shut down once again, it has also updated without me knowing. After such a long time wrestling with this computer, I can't say I'm not frustrated. How can I get this computer to stop updating? Is the laptop shutting off without me knowing part of a virus? I know there's no issue with storage on my laptop, so whats the problem here? Theres been past issues with my screen freezing after being woken up, if it helps.

• Dick
    Favorite Answer

Here's the answer in a nutshell: YOU CANNOT PERMANENTLY TURN OF MICROSOFT UPDATES !!! Yes, you can delay them but only for a short period of time. I believe it's one month, and if you delay it again, Microsoft will eventually override your delay request and install the updates. MY OPINION: It makes no sense whatsoever to not update Win 10. The updates are essentially software components that make your version of Win 10 better than what you are currently running! Avoiding improvements is silly, foolish, and yes, just plain stupid. Also, not shutting down your computer actually does you no good whatsoever. By not shutting down and booting up you don't allow Win 10 to clean itself up and reorganize itself into a well functioning OS. Your computer and it's operating system are tools and for tools to do their job properly you need to keep them clean. Keeping a Win 10 computer clean means allowing the updates to functionality and security to be installed. Nuff said ... quit being foolish!!!

Source(s): 33 Years Computer Experience & IT Support
    • 6 months agoReport

33 years of being an idiot more like it.

Open Run window and Enter "Services.msc"

Run it

Select "Windows Update" from the list and select disable.

You can’t. MICROSOFT RUELS ALL

Turn off updates in settings.

Windows is DOING SOMETHING FOR FREE. You would rather pay for it?

I am going with the free sht for as long as it puts out. I in fact received an update 7/11 morning. The guys at MS are coding every day so they are adding in tweaks and fighting against new viruses...to tell your AV how to attack the virus. Put up with it and update overnight like when you sleep. In the morning you will find it is only partly downloaded the information and needs to do the rest. So let it and it is done. M.S. takes over the full operation of your computer so you have no choice in the matter. When it is done it is done. Until the next update which could happen 3 months from now. I have never paid attention when the updates come. They do when they do and that means you are protected BETTER THAN BEFORE. Shutting off the updates is what makes your computer a haven for viruses...and other malware threats. It is like going into a GUN fight and all you got is a FORK. A dull one at that.

• Bill-M

Install the latest version of Windows 10 = version 1903 - it has options to delay updates.

Open Start.

Search for gpedit.msc and select the top result to launch the experience.

Navigate to the following path: ...

Double-click the Configure Automatic Updates policy on the right side.

Check the Disabled option to turn off the policy.

You can do this using the Windows Update service. Via Control Panel > Administrative Tools, you can access Services.

In the Services window, scroll down to Windows Update and turn off the process.

To turn it off, right-click on the process, click on Properties and select Disabled. That will take care of Windows Updates not being installed on your machine.

Step 1) Get Linux

Step 2) Delete Windoze

Step 3) Live happily ever after.

You still need the updates or your PC will be vulnerable to viruses.