How do I stop Windows 10 from updating on my computer?

I have a problem with my computer, and boy is it a long story. It all began when I first started getting update notifications for windows 10. Being the person that I am, I didnt want to update my computer and have to shut down and whatnot. So I would always postpone it, until it started updating without giving me... show more I have a problem with my computer, and boy is it a long story.

It all began when I first started getting update notifications for windows 10. Being the person that I am, I didnt want to update my computer and have to shut down and whatnot. So I would always postpone it, until it started updating without giving me a choice if i wanted to or not. I didnt like this, so I went and asked windows help if they could stop it from updating. I gave this nice lady access to my computer, and she went inside and shut down automatic restarts. You'd think my problem would end here, right?
Wrong. A few months go by, and I'm working as usual on my computer. I go to turn on my computer, which I had put to sleep the other day. To my dismay, I notice it had shut down. This happens occasionally, so I was semi-okay with it. Then, it sends me a pop-up saying that Windows 10 wants to update again. What?? I thought I had solved this. Setting it to update at another time, I do my work then put the computer to sleep as usual. The next day (today) I open my computer to see not only has it shut down once again, it has also updated without me knowing. After such a long time wrestling with this computer, I can't say I'm not frustrated. How can I get this computer to stop updating? Is the laptop shutting off without me knowing part of a virus? I know there's no issue with storage on my laptop, so whats the problem here? Theres been past issues with my screen freezing after being woken up, if it helps.
15 answers 15