Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsOther - Science · 7 months ago

I suffer from Hypnopompic Hallucinations. Is there anyone else out there who does too?

I have suffered these hallucinations since I was a little girl I'm now 29. When I wake up usually in the middle of the night I never know what im going to see. Sometimes I see nice things. Animals ect.. but it's usually terrifying things. They are so real. Solid objects. And they can move. Should I finally go see a doctor? I dread going to sleep at night sometimes. Is there anyone else like me? Feeling lonely. Thanks

i like to have nice dreams and to sleep deeply and comfortably.

when i dream the memory will last only a few minutes when i awake.

yours last longer, and when you are half-awake.

consider yourself lucky. many people consider dreams an excellent source, or even the source of "creativity".

Source(s): check the local library in the dreams and psychology section of non-fiction.

Yes, see a doctor. The doctor will refer you to specialists. There is no way of telling whether the cause is psychological or physical unless you get appropriate attention from professionals.

There are others who have hallucinations, some visual, some auditory. You are certainly not alone with this. Missing out on sleep is not good for your health, and the fear of hallucination may actually be triggering them. Getting medical advice will help you understand your condition and allow you to either control it, or live with it and accept it as part of who you are, without the fear.

They are simply dreams (or nightmares) that persist for a short time after you wake up, as not all your brain wakes at the same instant.

They are totally harmless, completely normal and relatively common.

If you can accept that and stop worrying about it, the frightening part will go away.

Whatever frightens or concerns you is likely to be what you dream about, so what you experience as you wake up!

People who believe in ghosts insist they are proof of ghosts, etc. as that's what they dream about.. That's why most ghost sightings are in bedrooms or at the foot of the bed.

I occasionally get them, but typically normal dreams, machines I've been working on or pages of program code floating in front of me!

I know what they are and find them more interesting than anything, so nothing frightening happens relating to them.

I can get the similar effect as I'm falling asleep sometime, being able to consciously create "dream images" like patterns or shapes.

<Is there anyone else out there who does too?> Only rarely. Most people report hypnopompic hallucinations during sleep paralysis episodes, while with one exception I do not. The last time I did (a few years ago, since this happens only rarely to me), I hallucinated that burglars (looking a lot like Joe Pesci in "Home Alone") were walking back and forth in front of my bedroom door stealing my stuff.

.

I had one particularly remarkable hypnagogic (technically hypnopompic, yes) hallucination one night when I woke up to go to the bathroom. As I was sitting on the toilet I could see the curtains in the window behind me blowing in the wind, but when turning around to look at it, I could see that the window was closed and the curtains still. I can't be sure whether that was even hypnagogia, or whether it was just a lucid dream I couldn't quite suss out at the time. I did have the presence of mind to look for dream signs, and upon finding none, decided that whether I was dreaming or not, the best thing to do was to go back to bed, which I did.

.

It's no mystery how people who are unaware of hypnagogia might wake up and think they see a 'ghost' in their bedroom, a spectral being that fades away after a few seconds, is it?

.

<Should I finally go see a doctor?> That's your call. Are you having sleep paralysis too, or just the visions? If you can't distinguish between dreams and reality, then that isn't good, but it sounds like you can. My advice would be to look upon this as an opportunity and not a burden. Lucid dreamers can learn, with practice, to control or at least influence, their lucid dreams, and most people who can't have them wish they could. It's just your subconscious mind at work, so see if you can change the course of your hallucinations. You could take up painting, and use the visions as source material for your work.

.

.

A friend of mine was recently burned in a fire/explosion and now wakes up several times at night screaming, thinking that he is on fire. His doctor recommended that he be evaluated by a psychiatrist. Thought a prescription and some counseling might be in order. I wish you well young lady, may our Lord bless you and watch over you.