Ilyas asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 7 months ago

Why are cavemen/archaic homo sapiens never depicted as black?

Im in love with biology and the theory of evolution honestly, i spend so much of my time learning about it but in the few years i have been learning about it im yet to see a single black depiction of cavemen (pre or post breeding with neaderthals) or archaic homo sapiens as blac. Why is this?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Recent genetic studies show that at least one of the mutations that produced light skin and hair was already prevalent among Neanderthals prior to the arrival of early modern humans in Europe.

Similar studies also show that two of the three mutations were widespread in early modern humans in northern Europe by about 10,000 years ago, but not in southern Europe until about 5800 years ago.

Given that these are relatively recent discoveries, I would expect to see depictions of southern (warm-climate) Europeans start to show darker skin than they have so far, while those of northern (cold-climate) Europeans remain as they are.

It really has been a very strongly selected characteristic, tied to the local climate.

The primary reason you haven't seen them depicted this way so far, is that prior to these recent discoveries it was presumed to have happened much earlier than it did. Prior to the split between Europeans and East Asians.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

It's not what white audiences what to see? I honestly don't know a better reason than racism or pandering to whites. Even European Cro-Magnon were black. That was assumed from skeletons for ~40 years, known for definite from DNA for about 5 years. It's taken the DNA for the information to become public knowledge though people are still resistant. I haven't seen any new artist conceptions since then correcting it. There was a time ~100 years ago when it was believed they evolved pale skin during the Ice Age, about ~40,000 years. Perhaps every artist conception was made during that time period?

• Login to reply the answers
  • martin
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It's all in the mind of the artist, and in the preferences of the people who commissioned the art work to be done. Cave men must have been covered with hair and pretty dark because who wants to stay all day in a cave on a nice day when the sun is shining? In ancient times, people in hot climates were dark, and in north climates they must have been light colored. Time spent in the sun would control skin color.

• 7 months ago

Usually you see black early man if they are showing scenes in Africa. What kind of goofy show would have white cavemen in Africa? But the ones in Europe are depicted as white to represent the location. When they actually turned from black to white who knows?

• ...Show all comments
    • Anonymous
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

We do actually know that--it was AFTER 10,000 years ago, after agriculture, after they stopped living in caves. So all Homo Sapiens cavemen were black. The only white cave men were Neanderthals. No Homo Sapiens did not get pale skin or red hair from Neanderthals. We know all this from DNA.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

Neighborhoods were segregated back then.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.