Did the Jeopardy ®️ game show need to pay royalties to the writer of the “I’m a Little Teapot” song?

• Me2
    Favorite Answer

Why would they?  To the best of my knowledge, "I'm a Little Teapot" isn't played on Jeopardy.  While the final line of Teapot and the show's theme are similar, that alone can't constitute copyright infringement.

• Me2

"Could it count as sampling..."  Obviously not, as sampling uses a fragment of an existing recording.  Copyright infringement exists with substantial copying, not a mere seven notes.

• Speed

It was written in 1939 and is therefore still protected by copyright, not in the public domain. I would presume they have permission for its brief use, either because they bought it or the right was given to them.

• Nuff Sed

No, the 70 years rule in the USA only applies to works created or published after 1967. Published works in the USA from 1939 have a fixed copyright of 95 years, assuming the proper renewal was filed within its 28th year after publication.

• Kathy

No, they did not.

• James

if it's under copyright they do

• Snoopy

I haven't played it, I used to like all games - strategic games. I only liked 7 Kingdoms because there were trolls in the second one.

I think they do because it's trademarked so they get paid for that. I actually live near Rockstar games here... I think GTA belongs to rockstar games, but I don't remember. This is interesting, because I am going to pay them a visit tomorrow.

The only thing I've trademarked were my drugs for neurodegeneration. But all medications and all computer programmes are paid for the trademark. Sometimes scientific papers are paid for the intellectual property via copyright.

Other than in the medical and food and drug/medical world, not sure what you can trademark. Nothing useful.

Jeopardy is stupid

• Perhaps. But copyright infringement is serious business. If you play a radio at a restaurant, artist can sue and DO win.