Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 7 months ago

Other exercises while doing ballet?

I do ballet just for fun and I also used to do skiing but my ballet teacher asked me to stop skiing because he said that skiing exercises the wrong muscles for ballet and it's not good when it comes to ballet.

I stopped skiing and then started cycling. This time, I was told the same thing from a relative. He said that bicycling makes your butt bigger and that isn't wanted in ballet. Is that true? Should I stop biking too? I am not looking to be a professional dancer obviously but I do want to keep my "ballet body" since I still perform in competitions and other performances in my town.

Is bicycle okay for ballet dancers? If not, then what exercise can I do?

Thank you and sorry for any mistakes. I'm not from an english speaking country.

If you want to get to the top in ballet, of course you do have to protect your 'ballet body'. It involves strict diet and also being of the correct body type to begin with. No big boned person ever succeeded in the world of ballet, no matter how thin.

But you are saying you are doing ballet for fun. Even being told you are exercising the wrong muscles by your ballet teacher is a little 'off' surely, if you do it for fun only. And for someone not associated with ballet to chime in with half baked advice is laughable. You'd better decide what it is you want in life. If I wanted to do ballet on a casual basis, I'd be enjoying my skiing too. If I wanted to be a top ballet dancer, I'd be listening to my teacher.

• drip

She is doing ballet for fun. She does not want to be a professional dancer,

swimming, yoga, pilates are all good for cross training. Your butt won't get bigger, but your thighs might if you ride the bike too much. I raced BMX as a kid and one of my nicknames in high school was thunder thighs, even though at that point they were 100% muscle.

• mintchips49

Do you have any idea how long and the intensity of swimming you would have to do to bulk your shoulders and back muscles? That happens to Olympic swimmers. Many professional ballet dancers cross train in swimming. Skiing is a no for them, not taking a swim.

• drip

You do ballet for fun. You are not in a dance company. You are not going to be a professional dancer. There is no reason why you can not do other sports. you do what sports you want to.

For ballet try Pilates.