JonZ
JonZ asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 4 months ago

Am I crazy,? I need your help! I saw Jaws several times in the movie theater and I have a problem with every dvd version I've seen.....?

...in the scene where Richard Dreyfuss is examining the hand found on the beach, I remember (I'm pretty sure) he lifts it up to show the hand and says something like "this is what happens when you have a Carcharodon carcharias feeding in your waters ", and then he goes on to say "this is no boating accident..." In all versions I've seen the Carcharodon carcharias and the display of the entire hand are omitted. Am I wrong?

Best Answer

I remember the hand being more prominently displayed as well in the theater. Of course I was only 10 and had never seen a severed limb before, so maybe my imagination enhanced it. I forget what Hooper was saying at that moment.

• Lv 4

interesting question & answer:very possibly edited out, maybe for marketing reasons;in more recent prints of a different film,a great line had another word substituted for one of the words! & in a film that was lauded for great cinematography, an egregious(yet comical) set error was quietly removed

• LilyRT

that scene is in the version I have. not sure which versions you've gotten? the scene you're talking about is around 4:40 in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE3F72sR498

Youtube thumbnail

• JonZ

When Hooper says "this is what happens" it is abruptly cut away and awkwardly goes to " indicates the non-frenzied feeding of a large squalus." If memory serves thie line in the original film was "this is what happens when you have a Carcharodon carcharias swimming in your waters".