Would I be able to drive 470 miles one way, give a presentation, and drive another 470 miles back the same day?

I'm planning to take a 7 hour trip one way for a presentation. It is about 470 miles of driving through the DC area. Would I be able to drive that much in a day, give my presentation (about two hours), and drive back later that day? Is that too much? Would I be too tired once I get there? Any advice is appreciated.

• Foofa

That would probably do me in but some people have more stamina than others.

Good Morning everyone. How was your day

• John

It's been said. If you aren't dead when you get home you will wish you were. I will add, more seriously, that it's not possible to do that without food, coming and going. And that doesn't mean candy bars. So you could add at least an hour for that.

Can YOU do it?

If you need to ask then the answer is probably NO.

Can it be done? YES

Your travel time is a little off.

Of course you plan to depart the minute you wake up. Then immediately give your presentation and then immediately return home.

In the real world add a few more hours to your travel day.

About ten hours on the road in each direction. Time to get from parking space to your presentation and back to car add about two hours..

About a 24 hour travel day. Doable but you might fall asleep on the way home and not wake up in the ditch.

Curious in this day did you plan any time for meals a toilet stop a stop for fuel?

If you have a good presentation will you refuse to answer questions at conclusion as you need the time to get back to your bed?

Plan for a sleeping place on your route to home.It can be your car. Just move out of the drivers seat for your nap.

• Mark

Possible, but not wise. If you're worried about the cost of somewhere to stay, then check out Couchsurfing.com

In addition to the other answers cautioning against it, I will also add that Summer traffic will mean slower travel, potential delays, maybe even a road accident along the way. Whilst you *might* get to your destination okay, do the presentation, the trip back would be wear exhaustion will catch up to you. That's how many crashes occur.

• Andrew

Well, you wouldn't be traveling 470 miles in the span of 7 hours to begin with. Not only because of posted speed limits, but also because of traffic, and the stop-and-go nature of driving through more heavily populated built-up areas. If you wanted to drive 470 miles across Montana and you wanted to arrive at your destination within the span of 7 hours, it would likely be possible, but you're not going to be doing 60 through D.C. and the surrounding area, no chance. Personally, unless I had a really good reason for doing it, I wouldn't want to cover the better part of 1,000 miles in the span of a single day. If it's worth it to make the trip, then so be it, make the trip. But a solid 8 hours of driving is enough for a single day unless there's a pressing need to tack on a greater number than that. Book a room in a roadside motor lodge, cheap motel, find a bed and breakfast or reserve an Airbnb. If you're obligated to be somewhere immediately after you're through presenting, then why not have someone come along for the ride? You drive there, they drive back, or vice versa, or alternate, it doesn't matter. But spending 16 hours in the car to wind up right back where you started is something you ought to try and avoid.

Too much !! Plan at least 9 - 10 hours each way depending on traffic. {At 7 hours, you are almost doing 70 mph the entire trip.} Have you considered flying? {Cheaper when you consider no hotel stays.} Or take a bus or train so that you can sleep.

You can but you're spending nearly 20 hours all together.

14 hours traveling from and back to your place (assuming there isn't any traffic at all)

2 hour presentation

~1-2 hours filling the tank, stopping at a rest area, etc. all together

Yeah, I think you'll feel pretty fatigue.

Have a safe trip.

How could we know what you can and can't do? We know nothing about you. I wouldn't want to do that, but you might be fine.

• Murzy

I think it will take more than 7 hours. Possibly 10 with traffic. You will be too tired to drive back after a 2 hour presentation.