Why do so many students get university loans in the US?

I can understand it's common place in underdeveloped countries but it came as a shock to know the same happens in the US. Shouldn't public universities there be for free or charge only a small fee? What about the parents, why can't make loans unecessary?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Have you checked the cost of attending university in the US? Not everyone who attends university has parents with enough money to fully support a child or children in university. As to whether it should be free, that's a public policy decision. Someone has to pay for it. I'd rather not have my taxes pay all the costs of people getting degrees which primarily benefit them rather than me.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

University costs + living expenses in US are so high & have increased so rapidly that even diligent, caring parents often cannot save enough for their child's education. Of course, some parents are far more diligent & caring than others. Some parents are barely managing to keep a roof overhead, food on the table, and clothes on the backs of their kids - whether the parents are uneducated & unskilled & therefore low-income, or the parents are bad money managers - and they cannot come up with money for school.

Excellent education takes a lot of money, and those who want to benefit from it, pay for it. Even though taxpayers also pay a very great deal, especially for state (public) schools/universities.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

There are many private universities and if trying to compare the words public and private, they are different UK to US in education entities.

To consider only state government funded schools as main source of funding, each state decides on its structure of taxes and how that money gets spent. Public schools may get some Federal level support, but their main operation funds are at individual state level.

If a state has high tax rates, people can move to a different state.

The money collected has to be divided among state services.

What's more, each state college or university has one lower cost for in-state students and a higher cost for students from other states or out of the USA entirely.

Even with in-state tuition, it varies.

A college education in the USA is not considered a human right.

Further, there are technical schools devoted to teaching trades such as plumbing or electrician.

Public education is free for 13 years, Kindergarten through 12th grade.

It is in the tax rates and skew of wealth, where the USA is highly capitalistic, and I believe it is failing now because of it. Total taxes in the USA are lower than other industrial countries, and still people complain.

There is also the issue that the health care industry is 18% of Gross Domestic Product putting a large burden and another 4% for military and homeland security. They are a huge burden unlike other countries, as two other broken institutions.

• martin
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

University loans are rare in foreign countries because only people from wealthy families attend universities. People from poor families couldn't get a loan because they wouldn't be able to pay it back. There's no substantial middle class to speak of, outside of America, where there are lots of student loans available because so many people can afford to pay back the loan and the banks will feel secure loaning money.

• There is a 'substantial middle class' throughout the first world. Most were happily earning a good living while Americans were still living in trees. You need to get out more.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Susie
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

There is no such thing as free. Someone pays for it, as professors don’t teach for free. Too many kids use college as a party time now. Imagine what it would be like if everyone got to go for “free”. One think I highly believe in is requiring all athletic scholarships to be repaid if the recipient goes on to play in professional sports.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.