If you could build a dwelling in the woods, what type of structure would you build?

I would construct a mounded dwelling, small and rustic, near a creek and well concealed with natural camouflage such as shrubs, tall grasses, thick trees, and the natural terrain.

8 W x 10 D x 6 H.

1. Sod/turf. 2. Earth layer 2-3 ft. thick. 3.thick plastic sheeting draped over walls down to the bottom of the walls. 4. Concrete layer. 5. Log roof. 6. Interior space. 7. Sand/concrete/rock floor. 8. Fireplace. 9. Smokestack under loose rock. 10. Concrete and moss covered wooden door, concealed to look like a moss covered rock slab.

• Toruko

As a cave explorer since 1964 in 30 US States and outside the USA

the longest occupancy I've seen had exceeded several hundred years.

Some caves include graves dug by non-humans for their dead. The

usual base camp in cave exploration has at least 12 hours of under-

ground travel, From the nearest access to sunlight or a look at stars.

Guided by prior cartography of places never previously seen by our

species. Explorers like me go off the grid for days in the dark both

to explore and find our way back without rescue assistance. I know

private property in Kentucky that has a bunk-house for returning

explorers to clean-up and rest before going home. Most of those

explorers reside in elsewhere. I'm westward beside the Salish Sea,

That bunkhouse 'basement' has more than one hundred miles

of known length. It has no quit for 2019 exploration. No, they

not train inexperienced explorers or tolerate substance abuse.

What I do for sleeping is put stones beside me so if asleep my

body won't accidently roll into an adjoining unexplored abyss.

I pack out all my body and food waste for dumpster disposal.

I prefer to sleep in cave areas that haven't seen a drop of

moisture in hundreds of years, I like going where mountaineering

skills are so essential that anybody less intelligent is dead within

a week. I was only evicted once. From within lava atop Mount

St. Helens. Inside the Red Zone. Taken out by Federal Rangers.

They had a complaint that I was playing my boombox too loud.

I have no idea what they'll do if the volcano gets too loud again.

• CLOSED

While your shelter looks cool it has some problems. First of all the smoke from your fireplace will give away your location. Then there is the problem of poor ventilation as the fire will use up quite a bit of oxygen. With a lack of fresh air you could die from suffocation. You would have to add a vent pipe ran to the fireplace low along a wall to the outside. The shelter is so small it claustrophobic and has little room for food and gear storage. I would add a storage area under the floor thats sealed well to keep rodents and insects out. You also lack a second point of egress so if a tree or large rock fell and blocked the door you are trapped inside. Then there is the lack of light. If you burn candles in a sealed area like that you could die from carbon monoxide poisoning, a slow but certain death.You would have to be careful if you use a battery powered light because a car lead acid battery for example emits hydrogen gas when its charging or is not completely sealed. Lithium batteries can catch fire or.explode. Also with such a small shelter where are you going to process game meat, edible plants and such? Canned or dried food gets boring real fast and lacks things needed for health. Trust me I spent 6 months in a home made shelter in a remote area of Idaho; you need fresh food for health. And then wherever the shelter will be must be above any flood prone area even if it hasn't flooded in decades. Never make a shelter in a avalanche area or at the base of a cliff.

Hope this helps. I made my shelters entirely of wood, leaves, rocks and soil. Sometimes I used a waterproof tarp over the log roof and covered it with branches and leaves.

• TB12

A Quonset hut type structure large enough to park my bus sized Winnebago in.

A cave .

• Speed

I'd probably find a natural cave and use it as my basis for a home that incorporates it but adds rooms above ground for the heat and light.