Rin asked in PetsFish · 5 months ago

Can axolotls be kept in a tank with other fish?

I have a 15 gallon tank in it with a few small tetra fish and I was looking into an axolotl. Of course when it gets to big for the tank I will upgrade it but can I keep a small one in my tank for now with my tetra with little risk to either?

• g

No, Rin, an axolotls is a cold water fish. Tetras are tropical. Their water temperature needs are a good 10 degrees or more off.

• Ocimom

Since they need the same temps as goldfish do, you can't keep them in a tank with tropical fish. Goldfish may work with the axolotis but both need a much larger tank. 15 gallons is not even large enough for ONE goldfish. They need a minimum of 30 gallons to start out.

And the axolotis would eat smaller fish. May not be a good idea to even keep one.

Ha ha, nope.........

• *****

Axolotls will eat small fish, and larger fish are likely to nibble their gills. They can also choke to death trying to eat fish that are too large to swallow. Additionally, Axolotls need to be kept at 60-64F, while Tetras need to be kept at 75-78F, so they can't live in the same tank anyway.

The hard part is the cold water, predatory nature of axolotls, and their gills.

Finding a fish that

A. Won't get eaten

B. Lives in chilled water

C. Won't nibble gills

Is not worth the effort.

Some people keep wild type guppies with their axolotls as a food source, which can handle the cooler water better and are cheap. But they still pose a risk to the gills.

Not a wise move as they eat small fish.

• Rin5 months agoReport

That’s fair but maybe small wasn’t the best way to describe my tetra. They are small enough to comfortably live in 15 gallons but medium sized. They are about half dollar sized