Judy asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 6 months ago

Can someone please explain to my Grannie that Amazon is safe and not a scam 😑?

She’s convinced that paying with her credit card will get her identity stolen

If Grannie is worried about her card information getting stolen, she can go to the drug store and buy an Amazon gift card and pay with that.

Hi. The people saying that it's not GUARANTEED safe - although they do provide great service & support in My opinion, are correct.

New hackers & data stealing methods popup every 2 minutes of every day.

BUT - The good news is that Amazon provides a safe way for EVERYBODY to use their services - with or without a credit card.

Just have the nice Lady pick up an Amazon gift card at any local retailer, & You can add it to Your account without any extra details being used or given out.

G'Luck!!!

• SRΛSC

Amazon is fine. I guess you can explain to her millions of people use it daily with no issue.

• David

Well she doesn’t have to use it does she?, if she is happy enough what is the problem?

I am an amazon customer. Amazon is not a scam.

Hypothetically speaking if Amazon ever got hacked then I wouldn't lose a lot of money. Where I am from credit cards have a high interest rate, and I don't think it's wise to use it. If a hacker gets his, or her hands on the credit card details then I think there can be problems.

Your Granny is right to be cautious about who she gives her credit details to but Amazon has a good track record of protecting customers' data. In all the years I have been buying on-line through Amazon, involving hundreds of transactions, they have never leaked my credit card details or made any charges I have not authorised. Amazon's reputation is too important to it to allow anyone to steal the identity of its customers.

I don't know why she would trust my opinion over that of her own granddaughter. You could try showing information that shows that Amazon has been around since 1994 and that if the richest person on Earth had become a billionaire by stealing everybody's credit cards, somebody would have noticed by now.

I have news for you - it isn't. "Amazon" is a marketplace that also offers a home to (almost) every scammer on earth. Just because you buy something through the Amazon website doesn't mean you buy it from Amazon themselves (which is reasonably safe - since they got all your data already in any case).

And she's going to believe random people on Yahoo?