Would a doctor detect diabetes in a blood test if they weren t looking for it?

• Janet
    1 year ago

Anytime you have a fasting blood test, diabetes is one of the things they are checking for.

• Pippin
    1 year ago

Standard blood work during a routine exam would usually include a blood glucose level. While that wouldn't, in itself, diagnose diabetes, and elevated level would be a sign that more tests are needed.

• 1 year ago

Depends on the blood test they order and what they are testing for.

• 1 year ago

Unless they're looking for anything specific, bloodwork done during a general checkup would include testing for diabetes as well as other common issues.

• 1 year ago

Blood tests are tailored to what’s requested by the doctor.

So no, if they’re not looking for excess high or low glucose in the sample then they won’t test for it.

• Tavy
    1 year ago

Doctors do not analyse the blood, this is done by a lab and and a report is made of everything in it.

• 1 year ago

I've had blood tests before recently but they were for other things. I'm kind of nervous to go in specifically to get tested for it only it to come back with bad news. regardless I'm going anyway but I'm just wondering if they would've have told me if they noticed something was off in the first place.