Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 6 months ago

What to do about FAFSA if my parents are in jail?

I applied for FAFSA student financial aid for the past 2 years and received it, but now my school is asking for additional information, tax transcripts, etc. I don’t have the extra information I need, I put in the information to the best of my ability and both my parents are currently incarcerated, without the aid I won’t be going to college anymore. What should I do in this situation

Sounds like a good reason to go visit your parents (and ask to whom they gave valuable documents to for safekeeping).

• nancy

You should make an appointment with a financial aid counselor at your school. They have the ability to waive the verification requirement, or to perform a dependency override, which would change your status from dependent to independent. As an independent student, your aid would be based solely on your own income and you would not have to provide parent information. However, for either solution you would need to work with your school, so by all means give them a call.

Contact the financial aid office and explain your situation - they will advise you on how to proceed.

• drip

Contact your college adviser and the school’s financial aid office.

And contact your parents, you may need to their ssn to determine their income tax for the year. Even in prison they should file their income tax

1) Call FAFSA

2) Contact your school's financial aid services

• John6 months agoReport

FAFSA is only an application. Attempting to call the application will get you nowhere. If your school is asking you for information that does not exist, the logical thing to do would be to TELL THEM SO!