How to clean running shoes?

You should use shoe cleaner to clean shoes

• .

Use a soft damp cloth if needed, or a soft brush. DO NOT put in the washing machine and even getting them soaking wet is not advised (although sometimes that will happen when you are out running).

Wipe the dirt off the outside, you can take out the insole and hand wash it as well as the laces (hand wash or put the laces in a lingerie bag and wash in the washer). Your running shoes may also have instructions as to how to clean them, on the label on the bottom side of the tongue.

For bad odors, use some deodorizing powder made for shoes. Always allow them to sit out and air dry after wearing them (esp if your feet get sweaty).

Put in the washing machine, if you don't have time to soak them in soap water and clean them by hand.

• Adam D

I usually hand wash with a cloth, I rarely even use detergent. I would only clean a pair if I got a lot of mud on them. Always allow them to air dry, never use a heat source and don't set them in the sun. If you want them to dry faster you can crumple up newspaper and stuff them for a bit, it will absorb moisture from the inside. I will also sometimes do this if they are particularly sweaty.

It's best to check with the manufacturer. Do a web search for "How to clean <brand name> running shoes."

In general, machine washing or tumble drying will shorten the lives of the shoes. Remove laces and insoles. Hand wash with a damp cloth and mild detergent. Allow to air dry.

Some upholstery cleaners will work on running shoes.