Adoption question? Previous?

I'm adopting a little boy, john, who will be about 3 months old when I get him. IM concerned that because John isn't a newborn that he won't be able to make the normal bonding and attachments an infant should make to his new parents.

Is this not true? Should I have concerns?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No - you should not be worried. He'll be YOUR baby.

It may take a few days, weeks, or even months to get used to being a parent, but that's the same for everyone. Just be prepared for it to be challenging to adapt to your new responsibilities and the amazing changes it will make to your entire life. We've all been there and it's SO worth it!

I've had family and friends who had adopted babies and older children, and everything has been wonderful. As long as you don't think of him as being anything but YOUR child, you'll be fine.

You're SO lucky!

Enjoy being a parent!

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

Don't you mean imprinting? People are not Canada Geese.

• Kelly
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You can still bond with a child regardless of their age in adoption. Some older kids, just takes more time and patience.

I have 2 adopted kids. One I've had since she was born and adopted her shortly after her first birthday and the other was placed with me when he was 4 years old and we adopted him when he was 6. I have a good bond with them both. My son, the bond with him just took longer to get there. He actually bonded with my husband before he did me. I think because having a dad in the picture was new to him. Both of my kids were adopted from foster care.

A 3 month old shouldn't have any issues forming a bond with but some do.

• 7 months ago

You should be concerned that you are adopting and yet are this clueless about the subject

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Infants are resilient - as long as a child has been given normal attention the first few months of life, he won't have trouble bonding in a new home.

• carrie
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You have no need to worry, babies bond with whoever cares for them and feeds them. That person will be you. You are both lucky to have found each other.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.