Why does it cost soo much to buy a house in the Portland, Oregon area?

I mean any house even out in milwaukie, or Oregon city that comes for sale for under $300,000 unless the place is a total dump sells right away, Even ones that are under $400,000 often sell quickly too.

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Everything in or close to Portland has skyrocketed in recent years. Like others said- it is supply & demand. Lots of demand + not much supply = $$$$$$$$

A lot of people live farther out from the city & commute. I have managed apartments in the surrounding area of Portland for 5 yr and have had many tenants that lived out as far as McMinville & commute to Portland.

• 1 year ago

Californians moving here.

• 1 year ago

The cost of buying a house in Oregon has steadily increased. The low vacancy rates have driven up both the housing costs and the homelessness there.

• 1 year ago

Supply vs demand

• 1 year ago

Demand. Simple as that.

1 year ago

Because there is no sales tax so the state rapes on property tax.

The prices are always high in big cities. Plus you have liberals constantly demanding more tax increases.

• 1 year ago

sounds not that expensive to me. normal price to compare to all the europe. probably u re used to low american prices in usa

• 1 year ago

supply and demand; good jobs in the area; clean air; beautiful scenery and many outdoor activities; limited amount of land to build on; it is not California (yet)

• 1 year ago

It's a very desirable area. Lots of people want to live there. Unemployment is low. There's a lot to do and see in the area. I could live in Portland myself. And it's cheap compared to much of the rest of the West Coast.

There's lots of much cheaper places in the US. Why are they cheaper? Because people are moving OUT, not clamoring to get IN.

• 1 year ago

Sounds cheap. I live in an attached house (i.e. sort of a duplex) under 2000 sq ft and right now my house is valued at $1.2 million.