My 1965 Ford F100 truck backfires while driving. Is it because I am putting regular gas rather then premium gas? I have a 390 V8 in it.?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No, carburetor is running lean

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

two types backfiring. common one is unburnt fuel igniting in exhaust system . other is fuel firing back through inlet manifold and air intake?carburettor ( very unlikely on injection systems) both indicate something wrong. normally its incorrect ignition timing. breathing issues too. too rich a mixture . to lead normally gives rise to excess coolant temperatures and ignition' knock' . any decent garage can check basics for you and should sort this issue. it will cause damage long term so get fixed ASAP. unburnt fuel ( too rich a mixture) can lead to exhaust backfires as opposed to carb /wrong timing. backfiring.

• 7 months ago

If it backfires through the intake manifold the ignition timing is too far advanced or you have bad intake valves.

If it backfires out the exhaust the exhaust valves may be bad.

Gasoline isn't causing it.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Bill
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

Check the ignition timing. Is it a true backfire (exploding up through the carburetor) or explosions in the exhaust? The former will often damage the carburetor. The latter could be a fuel mixture that's too rich or a missing cylinder that's putting raw fuel in the exhaust. If you have a Holley carburetor, replace the thing called a power valve inside the float bowl.

• alex7 months agoReport

It is backfiring out the right header pipe

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

rnaybe you should have a rnechanic look at your car

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.