Can I really be charged fines or criminal penalties for after losing my job for not carding ATF agents?

Last December I got fired at the convenience store I worked at for not carding someone who looked old enough to buy cigarettes and was in fact an undercover ATF agent. I never expected to get charged criminally but last week I got a letter in the mail that was a subpoena which said I must appear in court and assess... show more Last December I got fired at the convenience store I worked at for not carding someone who looked old enough to buy cigarettes and was in fact an undercover ATF agent. I never expected to get charged criminally but last week I got a letter in the mail that was a subpoena which said I must appear in court and assess the charges being filed against me, which could include a fine of up to $2500. Why didn't the charges get filed sooner? And shouldn't this not even be happening since it was so long ago?