Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 7 months ago

I’m a freshman running cross country and I need help.?

I have my time trial in a few days and I can’t even run without stopping. I have to walk. And I don’t want to walk during my three mile time trial, it’s the first one and I don’t wanna be the person who walks. I can barely run 1 mile let alone 3, how can I run without stopping

• Todd
    Favorite Answer

Do a fast jog. Hey, you might get a bad time, but it's only the first trial. My firt race, I got a 24 min.

Anyway, here's a trick that sometimes works. 2 tricks, actually. One is long term. You can't run at speed comfortably without practice. The other is a tip from a team member. Imagine there is a rope pulling you. That simple.

I’ve run a 5k in cross country a lot and let me tell you my friends are sooooo much faster than me but they ALWAYS walk. It’s because they run so fast and then take a break where I run at a slow pace but never stop. So you options are either run slow and you won’t stop or run how you do and don’t care if you stop because even the best stop

• Adam D

"I can't do something. How can I change this in 3 days?"

You can't. Do your best, and keep training. Cross country generally has plenty of room for people on junior varsity. Take this opportunity to learn all you can about fitness and improving at the sport so you can come into your sophomore year in better shape and give yourself a shot at the varsity team.

Sorry, but with only a few days, there isn't much advice we can give that will help you. Also, there isn't much you can do. Also, three days isn't enough time for training to have an effect.

You have to walk because you are going too fast. Slow down to a pace you can hold for 3 miles. Unfortunately, there isn't enough time for you to find out what that is. You should rest the 2 days before your time trial. So, you have to guess what pace to run.

How did you get into this situation? Have you been training regularly? If yes, for how long? If you have been training for some time, and you were able to do 3 miles without slowing to a walk before, at the same effort you are trying now, what happened? If you don't know, you may be ill. You should tell your family doctor about this.

But, if you haven't been training, what you are experiencing is typical of new runners.

Some people get better times by walking. The rest allows them to go fast enough between walks to more than make up for time lost due to walking.

• Jogger2425

And do a good warmup before the time trial.

rnaybe you should find out why you need to take breaks all the tirne