jasmine asked in PetsOther - Pets · 7 months ago

Do you need your parents consent to buy a pet at 16/17?

On UK law websites it doesn’t mention anything about needing parents consent.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Sneak it into your yard. Your parents may change their mind upon discovering what they believe is a stray pet.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

Yes you can but check with your parents first. I brought home a gardener snake as a kid once to keep as a pet and my parents flipped out

• ron h
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Garter snake.

• 7 months ago

Just because you could do something doesn’t mean that you should. Not only would it be disrespectful to your parents, but to your hypothetical pet, too. They deserve to be welcomed into a home where everyone is happy to greet them.

When you take in an animal, their entire wellbeing is in your hands. So many times I see animals brought into the shelter because people buy them on a whim. Their family member ends up being allergic. They didn’t realize how expensive they can be. They weren’t willing to put in the work it takes to train them. These are living, breathing creatures — and taking one is honestly one of the best things you could do. Just maybe not right now. It’s better to wait to make sure your pet comes into the perfect home rather than potentially having to give them up to a shelter.

• 7 months ago

Yes

The house belongs to yoru parents and if they don't want you getting a pet then you can't get one. If you stupidly get one any way, they have every right to get rid of it and there's nothing you can do

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

No, you can buy a pet at the age of 12.

• Jon
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

There is no legal requirement for it, so a seller having established that you are 16 or over can sell you an animal. (For under 16's, it is not a matter of getting parental consent, they just cannot buy animals at all. A parent who wants their child to have a pet must buy it for them).

However if you live with your parents they could refuse to allow the animal in their home, so unless you live independently and in a place where there is no 'no pets' rule, in practice you need to get your parents' or landlords, etc, agreement first.

• 7 months ago

If you still live with your parents I'd advice against bringing a pet home without consent, it's disrespectful.

• 7 months ago

Probably not in law - but they're going to be pretty pissed off if you turn up with an Irish Wolfhound

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If it's their house....yes. They could refuse to let you bring it into the house. You could buy one then keep it at a friend's house, I suppose.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.