Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 7 months ago

I am really worried about travelling by train?

So, recently I got a new job and unfortunately it requires me to travel by train. (For your info, I currently am in UK and the train company is Thameslink)

The main thing I am really worried about is if the train stops (specifically in a tunnel) and I am unable to contact anybody using my phone due to no signal. I am just in general worried if the train stops at a red signal and if the heating is faulty (which it usually is, meaning the train is extremely hot) that I will feel trapped and unable to get out. The last time I used this service the train slowed down extremely slow to about 5MPH and I just got so panicky and found I felt absolutely sick. How can I beat this fear of trains?? I am going to do a practice ride today and I need some advice. I am going to bring things with me like music to try and calm me down, and I also have some fun apps to play around with. I also have train app so I know if their is any disruptions, but even with this stuff I will still be worried. How can I beat this??? Thanks!

• Dale-E

Try calling on Jesus name with a pure heart, (not deceptively). Then continue with your breathing, "Oh, Lord Jesus, I need You. Come make Your home in my heart." With sincerity, employ your breathing with whispering Jesus name that He may give you His Life for your living.

• Zheia

The tunnels on Thameslink are quite short. I travelled on Thameslink for the first time a few weeks ago from Fratton to Hatfield. Part of the journey used Thameslink, which I thought was the best part and for me was a new experience. Otherwise I would have had to use another route requiring the underground from Waterloo to Finsbury Park. The Thameslink tunnels are quite short, have frequent stops across central London, are well lit, and wide, not like the underground tunnels which are narrow, dark and hot. If you stop at Blackfriars Bridge station there's a great view of London because the station is over the river Thames, and right by London Bridge station is the Shard. Even if the train stops at a red signal, because it is on the national rail network, the worse thing that can happen is a locomotive can pull the train to the next platform.

Visit YOUR Doctor for some professional advise.

Sad to report the Real World is not perfect and never was.

Things breakdown, trees fall on tracks, switches break and assorted other crap just happens.

You make it sound like stopping in some tunnel or red light is similar to being marooned on a distant planet.

Millions seem to ride to and fro everyday with little issue. Maybe you will too once you learn a little more about your route and the options available.

It is possible to survive and not have internet access every second of the day.

Seriously do you think calling a Friend gets you rescued?

Late For your appointment. TOO BAD. Late for your job? TOO BAD.

There is no law requiring you to travel on the last possible train that gets you to destination with just a few seconds to spare.

Speak to our Assisted Travel team if you’d like to know more about our emergency procedures for disabled people:

Telephone: 0800 058 2844

Textphone: 0800 138 1018

Get professional help, you have an issue that we can't help with.

get a taxi......

Most of the tunnels on the Thameslink line have a phone link so you can continue to use your phone. Thameslink also has wifi although it's pretty awful. Music helps pass the journey, especially if it's something bland (I prefer to listen to 1950s radio comedy shows).

With the more modern Thameslink trains, you can walk from one end of the train to the other with no barriers between coaches. The aircon on these tends to work quite well although it has problems if the train is very crowded. You can always walk to the end and spend a couple of minutes in 1st Class where it's cooler. The old trains have windows that open.

If you are not used to train travel, it can cause anxiety. Try to relax and control your breathing.