On Ebay if I am a seller and someone buys an item off of me, do I get that payment immediately or is it held in a sort of escrow system?

I am asking because I recently bought a golf club off of someone who has a zero rating meaning they haven't been reviewed yet, they are new to eBay. They told me that the money hasn't been released yet so they cannot send me my item. So I am thinking that they do not know that eBay holds this in a sort of... show more I am asking because I recently bought a golf club off of someone who has a zero rating meaning they haven't been reviewed yet, they are new to eBay. They told me that the money hasn't been released yet so they cannot send me my item. So I am thinking that they do not know that eBay holds this in a sort of escrow system. I bought it a few days ago and I noticed that it hasn't been shipped yet. Is that right? Or is the payment supposed to go immediately to their account? Help would be appreciated.