Why does my PC crash when a dual monitor is plugged in?

My main monitor (144hz) Is connected to my GPU (GTX 1070) VIA display port cable, and I wanted to add a second monitor (60hz) via HDMI cable. When doing so, my pc crashes, aka "your pc has ran into a problem"

How can I fix this problem?

Favorite Answer

Are you connecting the second monitor to another output on the GTX1070? That should work.

The GTX1070 is rated by nvidia to support anything up to four monitors.

If you connect it to a socket on the motherboard, it's trying to use disabled or uninitialised built-in video, which is not a good idea when you have a separate GPU, if it ever works at all.

Only connect to the GPU.

Contact maker of the video card (not the chip maker Nvidia) for the customer support you already paid for.

A wild guess is that your PSU is not up to supplying more amps when you ask the card to send to two monitors.

Source(s): I run multiple monitors on less capable cards than yours, and at the same time (Sasha is wrong). But I don't have a fancy 144Hz DisplayPort monitor.

You can only have one on, at one time.

Set the refresh rate to your first monitor back to 60hz.

I don't think that video cards are not made for outputting different refresh rates.

• lachlan6 months agoReport

Thanks - noted