Anonymous

Why are some people naturally academic?

I know some people who are naturally academic and can easily get As/A* a First and so on. Meanwhile, I’ve struggled with the academic side of things/ exams, after failing my Maths GCSE multiple times I decided not to re- take my exam at 21 (the same exam which are usually done by 16 year olds).

My average grades where Cs or Bs including a D in Maths.

I was however VERY good at practical things such as Contraction/ Engineering or anything that involves skilled work or Apprenticeships’s.

*construction

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

The subject makes some people very uncomfortable but there is scientific evidence that intelligence is between 50% and 80% heritable and that genes (rather than environment) matter more for intelligence once you reach adolescence. Intelligence is related to academic ability, obviously. We all knew the kids who grasped onto harder subjects with ease and got into the best sets and received good grades in school with little revision or effort.

That isn't to say if you aren't naturally a high flier you can't get there from receiving a quality education and hard work and there are learning disabilities such as dyslexia which can be an obstacle.

You never hear of rich kids being told they're not "academic".... their parents can afford to send them to independent schools where they benefit from extra resources, tutoring and small class sizes. They get coached into achieving high GCSE and A-level grades and they receive prep to help them get into top universities like Oxbridge, UCL and Warwick. State comprehensives don't have anywhere near enough resources to do this.

• 1 year ago

Their parents started teaching them when they were young. Those students also strengthened their brainpower by memorizing a great deal of literature.

• 1 year ago

It could be genetics. Also, it could be about their study habits, having the right and effective strategy to study. Study smarter, not harder. Last, it could be not procrasintating, by using a calendar to manage their course load. I hope this helps.

• 1 year ago

Different people have different talents, abilities, skills, interests, personality & character traits. Intellectual, academic studies come easier to some than to others. Some have an ear for music, others cannot carry a tune. Some have real artistic talents, others cannot get past kindergarten stick-figure drawings. You go with YOUR talents, abilities, etc.

• John
    1 year ago

The western attitude toward learning is that some people are naturally good in some subjects, and naturally weak in others. The Asian view is that almost anyone can master almost any subject, if they study hard enough. IMHO, those are not mutually exclusive ideas.

• Tavy
    1 year ago

It's how their brains are wired. My son has a PhD in Nuclear physics but could not fix a car engine or anything else technical.

His son took his first maths gcse at 10 and got an A*, he now has another 2 and an A level at 14, he can just about put his shoes on ?!

I can't add up but am good at fixing things as a female.

Life is strange, nothing wrong with you.

• 1 year ago

Personally, I don't think anyone is naturally academic, but I think everyone has the potential to be academic, by adequate amounts of studying and other related activities.

• Robin
    1 year ago

I can see what you mean. I studied biology and now have a PhD in it but I cant use a spanner or screwdriver and have to pay now for silly physical things that I have no clue about