Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 7 months ago

Question about double left turn lanes and turning into a three lane street? (California)?

So there's two left turn lanes and I'm on the second left turn lane.

I want to turn into a three lane road.

Which lane do I go in? The second one or third one?

I went into the second lane but someone honked at me and I got scared so I went into the third lane and the person who honked at me went into the second lane.

Was I right to go in the second lane?

Can I choose between the second and the third lane? Or do I need to stay in the second lane then switch to the third lane?

I'd appreciate any help. My test it on Monday and I'm having trouble with all the lane stuff. I'm so scared and nervous!

Favorite Answer

Funny thing is; In that situation the Lane 1 has to turn and end the turn in Lane 1. You were in Lane 2. You have the right to end your turn in lanes 2 or 3 if you choose to do so. If there was someone in lane 3, they had to make an illegal right turn. You had the right of way. If you're making a right turn, at an intersection, you're supposed to turn into the lane closest to the curb- which in this case, is lane 3. You really did nothing wrong initially unless you were driving to slow.

• Todd

You turn into the lane as if you were not turning, even if there is no vehicle to the left of you. In the situation you described, you'd be doing a left turn into the center lane.

• JetDoc

You turn into the same lane that you were in BEFORE the turn! If you were in the center lane of three, you should turn into the center lane of three on the next street. Make sure your turn is wide enough that you don't cut off any cars on the inside of your turn.

• Ron

Driving isn't rocket science. Stay in the lane you're in

• Dimo

Two lane turning left that turns into 3 lanes.

There should be white dots on the road to follow.

Usually the farthest left stays towards left, the right side would stay in the center.

The farthest right on the 3 lane should only be people making a right hand turn for the people opposite from you.

You stay in the lane you are in. If you are in the lane closest to the center you turn into the lane closest to the center. If you are in the second lane you turn into the second lane, If someone honks at you be cautious but do what you are supposed to.

If you had run into someone switching from 2nd to 3rd lane it would have been your fault.