Question about double left turn lanes and turning into a three lane street? (California)?

So there's two left turn lanes and I'm on the second left turn lane. I want to turn into a three lane road. Which lane do I go in? The second one or third one? I went into the second lane but someone honked at me and I got scared so I went into the third lane and the person who honked at me went into the... show more So there's two left turn lanes and I'm on the second left turn lane.

I want to turn into a three lane road.

Which lane do I go in? The second one or third one?

I went into the second lane but someone honked at me and I got scared so I went into the third lane and the person who honked at me went into the second lane.

Was I right to go in the second lane?

Can I choose between the second and the third lane? Or do I need to stay in the second lane then switch to the third lane?

I'd appreciate any help. My test it on Monday and I'm having trouble with all the lane stuff. I'm so scared and nervous!