Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 7 months ago

Why do I feel like I’m twice as fast at night than during the day?

I actually remember asking myself this as a kid. I would feel so fast running at night. The reason is a combination of things but most likely one thing in particular. The one thing in particular is that at night your vision blends things together more. So for example: During the day when you're in a car moving at 60 mph, things that are 10 to 20 feet away and are stationary as you drive by will appear to have this sort of motion blur unless you lock your eyes on the object as you continue to move. I don't know the exact science but I just know at night this effect is amplified. Something to do with light, optics, distance from the object, and your visual reference point. Again, something I noticed as a kid. I liked to pretend I was super fast by letting my eyes go out of focus compounding with the lack of light creating the illusion that l'm really fast.

you usually feel better when it is cooler but if you feel faster at night in the winter when it is cold then I can't say.

• .

Are you actually or do you just "feel" like you are? Assuming you're referring to running (since that's where your question is located)

Some people prefer to workout in the evening and have more energy for it. If you run outdoors, it may be cooler or lower humidity, which could help your performance (e.g., I run slower when it's real humid because it negatively impacts my breathing).

If you don't actually run faster, but just 'feel' like you do, it may be your mental attitude in the evening is more confident and energetic, than earlier in the day.

We can only speculate.

Here are 2 possibilities:

It is usually cooler at night than in the day, so you would experience less heat stress at night.

It may be running at night fits better with your work / sleep cycle and your nutrition cycle.

The saintly fresh air

its just the way your systern is