Reestablishing potentially lost connection with my pony?

I've owned my pony since I was three years old and I'm turning twenty this fall, I used to spend every free moment with him but due to various complications I haven't had regular contact with him since I was about fourteen. He's still friendly towards me and hasn't bonded with anyone else the... show more I've owned my pony since I was three years old and I'm turning twenty this fall, I used to spend every free moment with him but due to various complications I haven't had regular contact with him since I was about fourteen.

He's still friendly towards me and hasn't bonded with anyone else the way he had previously done with me, however he no longer follows me around and doesn't appear as interested in me as he has been before.

Am I just feeling guilty for not being around and humanizing him or is it possible that he just doesn't care for me that much anymore?

And if the latter is the case; what can I do to rebuild our bond?