Sandra asked in PetsHorses · 7 months ago

Reestablishing potentially lost connection with my pony?

I've owned my pony since I was three years old and I'm turning twenty this fall, I used to spend every free moment with him but due to various complications I haven't had regular contact with him since I was about fourteen.

He's still friendly towards me and hasn't bonded with anyone else the way he had previously done with me, however he no longer follows me around and doesn't appear as interested in me as he has been before.

Am I just feeling guilty for not being around and humanizing him or is it possible that he just doesn't care for me that much anymore?

And if the latter is the case; what can I do to rebuild our bond?

I think you just have to put in the time and effort like you did before, make him happy to see you, do things that he enjoys etc

• John

You keep the animal on ranch? Farm? In pasture?

It's very simple if your actually serious.

You want the animal to pay attention to you when it lost it's entertainment (you) for six years.

It's had to make out in that boring corral or pasture or where ever you left it entertaining itself for six lonely years of no love nobody nothing there just being lonely staring at walls.

And for no reason it has to go through this punishment from you it did nothing wrong.

You should feel very very guilty.

You did desert the pony. You betrayed the animal.

There's not a lot it can do about it it's bred to live with your kind so it makes do.

But you should be able to think of an answer to your common problem. Those animals are bred to work with you it's not difficult.

You have an pony that is 17 years old and have not had much contact with it for the last 6 years. This is an old animal, and you need to understand that he is not going to be following you about - he is not a dog.

I would try just spending time with him doing something fun for him. Grooming, hand grazing, ground school games etc...

You bailed for six years. You've shown him just how important he is to you.

Don't expect your pony to give your relationship any more importance than you do. You get what you give.

Your pony is also getting older, less courteous. Other then spending more time with him and playing with him, Grooming him there’s not much more you can do. Does he drive at all? Perhaps you can have s9me fun with carting, older horses and pony can do this easily as there’s no weight on their backs and most love doing this vs riding.

When my mare turned thirty we switched to a small jog cart, she was thrilled to go out on trails once again she loved being by the lake and woods instead of the paddock and cornfield. Whole she could just jog a little bit and walk we still enjoyed each other’s company. Some of her old spark returned as she got back into better condition from the very short rides we used to do before. Once again I would find her at my front door, having unlocked her box and wandering into the yard saying let’s go you sleepy head. Although it wasn’t daily driving it was three times a week and I would brush her down daily. Horses do have a close bond with their humsns if they spend enough quality time with them,

• Sandra7 months agoReport

Thank you for answering! He doesn't drive but I have considered teaching him (although he might be a bit too old now lol). We have gone on walks together though and he seems to enjoy that :-)
      I'll try to take more short walks with him and see how he reacts!

Update: Fixed the category, Thank you Yahoo for putting it in Family & Relationships instead of Pets, y'all are weird.