Iranians really are not that different than Egyptians?

I have been to Egypt and saw how people and society was there, and have been watching a lot of documentaries on Iran and Iranians, and they seem VERY similar to each other...how true and why this is probably? (even though Iranians are proud to point out that they are "Persians" and not "Arabic",... show more I have been to Egypt and saw how people and society was there, and have been watching a lot of documentaries on Iran and Iranians, and they seem VERY similar to each other...how true and why this is probably? (even though Iranians are proud to point out that they are "Persians" and not "Arabic", why?)
Update: the modes of dress, style of behavior seems very similar. the way the streets are organized, the driving, the general "style" of everything seems like it is nearly just a different state in the same country, am I right? how about Afghanistan or Pakistan?