Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 7 months ago

Is it safe to feed my betta fish live bugs from outside?

Not as the main source of food, but just once in a while?

• Akeath
    Favorite Answer

That would not be a good idea. Most wild insects carry a variety of parasites and other illnesses that could be transferred to your fish when he eats them. And encouraging certain wild ones, such as mosquito larvae, to settle near your house so you can catch them more easily can spread dangerous human diseases such as Zika. There are also issues nowadays with wild insects being tainted with dangerous pesticides.

If you want to feed live insects, it would be best to buy some captive ones that are specifically sold as feeders and start a culture in a controlled indoor environment from those, and raise and care for the insects yourself to ensure they are healthy, not carrying anything that would hurt your pet, and that the insects themselves are properly gutloaded for max nutrition. Brine Shrimp, White Worms, Vinegar Eels, Wingless Fruit Flies, Redworms, and Grindal Worms can be sourced with either a starter culture or eggs meant to be raised as feeders, and are fairly easy to raise.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of all that, then you can simply purchase frozen insects that were raised in captivity and are guaranteed not to pass on illnesses. Nearly all pet stores carry these.

I wouldn't recommend it

Some bugs taste bad, but I haven't tasted them myself to tell which.

I wouldn't risk it since who never know what chemicals the bugs may bring from outside.

Source(s): bettacare101.com

there are many chemicals outside, it isnt exactly safe. But if you had a chemical free bucket, put it somewere that you new was not getting sprayed with chemicals, half full of water. it should not take long before you have masquito larva. feed some live and freeze the rest before they hatch!

There are insects that produce bitterants and some that can produce far worse and more dangerous things. Every creature on the planet has a defensive mechanism. Some bugs will produce sticky mucus that can **** with your fish pretty badly and cause your fish to die of diseases related to stress. I'd keep your betta fish on whichever protein diet you have been feeding it since they are notoriously finicky fish to keep alive.