Why can t I sell anything from my parent s estate?

I have my parent s house to clean out. I ve tried to have garage sales and sell online through FB, Marketplace, Craig s List and local classifieds. I have not sold one thing using online sites and very little at my garage sale. A friend told me it s because I won t meet people at a designated spot. I say, yes I will meet people and the spot is my front porch!

Because, if it's anything like the stuff from MY parents' house, it's junk that should go in a skip.

Hire an Estate Sale organization. My hubby passed and I was left with a property containing 47-years of stuff (even though we were only married 11-years). I found a couple, who do tons of Estate Sales, and they are putting a Living Estate Sale together for me (because some of the stuff is mine too).

Because everyone these days is buying off ebay or your country's version of ebay and you aren't selling that way.

My first guess would be you are pricing your stuff too high. Regardless of how nice it is you need to remember its all used, not new. Second I would guess that your customer base doesn't live anywhere near where you do, thus making the trip to see what you have to offer is more trouble than it is worth.

You might want to consider contacting an auction house or a company that specializes in estate sales. Good Luck.

• debodun7 months agoReport

I just checked Marketplace because it indicates how many people look at the ad. Of all the items I've posted, the most hits I received was 3 and that was on a pair of brass candlesticks, but whomever looked never followed up on it. Most other items no one has even looked.

List things on Offerup and Letgo.

• debodun7 months agoReport

Are they phone apps, because I don't have a cell phone? Also, unless it is very local, I don't sell if I have to ship items.

Don't hold a garage sale, hold an ESTATE SALE. Advertise in on CL, FB Groups, etc and you get a totally different clientele.

• debodun7 months agoReport

Did that - even fewer people stopped. I think when they see "ESTATE" it translates into high prices.

When people want to buy stolen merchandise (that is what they think about on-line purchases from site like Craig's List) they want a Neutral Ground meeting. Many think that "Home ground" meetings are traps set up by potential Robbers.

Try E-bay (a reputable site).

Established Flea Markets,

The problem with reputable locations is they charge a set up Fee or take commissions.

You might also consider Consignment Stores.

• debodun7 months agoReport

There are no consignment stores around here - one disadvantage of living in a remote community. Flea markets charge to set up (I'd be in the red if I didn't sell much) added to the fact that I'd have to pack my Honda (limited space), unpack and set up, repack, drive home and unpack.

• Lili

The whole point of buying online is that you don't have to GO to a particular spot. You can make the purchase from the comfort of your home.

That's one issue.

The other may be that whatever you're selling, people just don't want.

Try a flea market, where people can actually see the items and are more likely to make an impulse buy of something they just happen to see. You'll get more potential buyers at a good flea market, too.

• Lili

I intuited that you didn't want to ship, but that being the case, you have to deal with the consequences.