Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicJazz · 7 months ago

Do you know what’s the best way to get someone into jazz music?

I feel like less and less people like jazz music nowadays. I wish I could share my music preferences with others without being told I’m boring or I only like old people/dead people music.

• Kyle

offer your friends to go to a lounge club for drinks. they often play jazz there. or find restaurants that play jazz and go out to eat somewhere.

• John

We listen to jazz all day long (www.kcsm.org, usually) and I'm pretty knowledgeable. It is a fact that some of it it highly technical playing that can be difficult to actually "enjoy". Yesterday was a piano piece that was some odd modal thing heavy on the technique. It was interesting but maybe not exactly "pleasure". I would steer newbies to what some call pop jazz or the like. Not, probably, "smooth jazz", which is Muzak. Spyrogyra, Jean Luc Ponty, Lee Ritenour come to mind. Jimmy Smith was very accessible, and there are many others. Another thing that I miss myself sometimes is singing. One of the things about jazz is that so much of it is instrumental. Singing gives another dimension and can humanize it a lot. Of course there are many great singers. Diana Krall is easy to get. Stacey Kent has this precocious voice and also bridges that gap, largely.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I know how it feels. You have to accept it. Keep pushing forward. Don't give up. Good luck friend..