Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthHealth & Well-BeingFirst Aid · 8 months ago

should smoking in public be banned?

Favorite Answer

Yes, as it's dangerous to people in the area. In many parts of the country, it's already banned in public areas.

Not really. It’s pretty easy to move away from smokers outside. Inside it should be banned.

Yess it should because it’s bad for business

• Edna

Whether you like them or not, cigarettes are a legal product, and their sale and use in public are legal. In order to "ban" the public sale and use of cigarettes, the US Government would have to pass a law banning the sale and use of cigarettes completely (in much the same way that the Government banned the public sale of opium and morphine years ago).

A municipality might be able to prohibit the use of cigarettes in certain specific locations, but no municipality has the authority to ban the public sale of a legal product.

Such a ban would also bankrupt the 100's of tobacco farmers who make their living raising and selling tobacco. Those tobacco farmers have got millions of dollars of their own money sunk into their large tobacco farms. Maybe the Government would be willing to pay them to grow potatoes instead?

The Government's not about to ban the sale of cigarettes. The Government takes in too many millions of dollars in revenue every year from the Federal Excise Tax on the sale of cigarettes (as does every state), not to mention the millions of dollars in extra revenue the US Government takes in from the exportation and sale of cigarettes to other countries.

Yes it should. Smokers should be confined to small stiffing rooms.

If the laws infringe on personal choice of self destruction to that extent: I'd rather obese people be banned from restaurants, because it makes the rest of us lose our appetite faster than a waft from a cigarette ever could!

No, it pisses me off when someone see's me smoking and walks right into the stream of smoke I blew out fanning their hands with a disgusted look on their face. Get the hell out of my face.

I don't really see a point, soon enough they'll ban shops from selling them then they'll ban people from smoking,