Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 year ago

My dryer in my apartment broke 3 days ago, and I have informed the landlord but still nothing. Do I have any legal rights?

• mom
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

if it is your dryer in your apartment, then you have to get it fixed, not the landlord unless the washer and dryer came with the apartment, I never heard of a washer and dryer coming with the apartment that the landlord has too fix

• SimplytheFACTS
      1 year agoReport

just because it was your personal experience doesn't mean it is COMMON. I have looked at a lot of apartment adds, almost all the ones I see include the washer dryer if there is a hook up for the apartment.

• 1 year ago

Check your lease in detail to see how this is handled.

• Robert
    1 year ago

It's not like a gas leak. I don't think 3 days is unreasonable unless he is ignoring you. Just ask in a friendly way if he will be able to stop by soon as you have to do laundry soon. Then if he ignores you again you have to see your lease and read if a working laundry center is part of it. If it is you have rights. If it isn't, you might not. But if you do, the first step is to notify him IN WRITING of the failure.

• 1 year ago

You have the right to collect $1.50 for laundry you had to take to a public laundromat.

• 1 year ago

you have the right to wait a reasonable time and use a laundromat or hang up your clothes.

did you inform the LL in writing? are you in the US? you do realize yesterday was national holiday don't you?

this is a non urgent repair. a landlord is not required to deal with it on weekends/holidays.

the LL would have reasonable time to fix it, that is subjective and may be up to a month.

unless you smell gas....in which case, you need to open the windows and call the FD to safely vent the place at this point....that would mean the pilot was out and all you had to do was re light it...

i don't think modern machines (and electric) have that issue (with a gas smell/pilot light)

• SimplytheFACTS
      1 year agoReport

normally you don't need to call FD for a pilot light out, but after days of a gas leak, it would be a good idea

1 year ago

Yes. 6 more months and you can sue. You have a good chance of winning $3.26.