Tokyo: What is with the women offering massages?

I am vacationing in Tokyo, and something I notice is that in some areas, I'll have women coming and pestering me to come to their massage parlor. My first guess was that it was codespeak for me to follow them to a hotel room sex. However, I read that prostitution is illegal in Japan...so now I'm confused,... show more I am vacationing in Tokyo, and something I notice is that in some areas, I'll have women coming and pestering me to come to their massage parlor. My first guess was that it was codespeak for me to follow them to a hotel room sex. However, I read that prostitution is illegal in Japan...so now I'm confused, because I don't think they'd be that brazen to offer something illegal out in the open.

I know damn well they are after something more than a massage client at 2:30 in the morning....what is it?