Mark asked in Dining OutOther - Dining Out · 7 months ago

How to tip on a credit card at a restaurant?

What s the procedure to tip on a credit card? Waiter brings bill, I give credit card, waiter scans card and returns with two receipts, one is my copy one is theirs that gets signed and filled in with the tip amount. Once writing on their receipt I can leave, correct? Because I ve had two recently that didn t have the tip added to my card.

And I understand tipping in cash may be better for the wait staff, but it s not always viable.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Good
    Lv 6
    7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Write in the tip line, "On Table." And then leave cash.

I believe they are taxed at 17% by the IRS based on

their receipts. I always tip higher than that unless

service was awful.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Income from tips is taxed exactly the same way as their other income. If they get no tips, they pay no income tax on money they didn't actually receive.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

Tipping on cards usually goes to the owner. If you want to tip the staff give them cash.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

So, you're saying the owner is embezzling tips that belong to the servers? How long do you think that would last in reality?

• 7 months ago

They must be fiddling with the card, since they've already returned it to you with the bill, yet left the Tip line for you to fill.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

There will be a blank line under the price that says "tip". Fill in a number, add the two amounts, and put that number on the blank line below the first one.

As far as tipping in cash, that is preferred, since that money is not reported to the IRS, and therefore not taxed. But so many people just tip on the card that it doesn't really matter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

The industry would like you to take the total and double it as the tip.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The times that I have payed with a credit card in a restaurant, there has always been what some call a tip line on the receipt,and you write the amount that you want to tip on that line,it's also best if you add up the total, including tip or you can just leave cash on the table.

• ...Show all comments
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

If someone didn't ring up the adjusted total with the tip, that's their mistake, not yours.

• 7 months ago

you just fill out how rnuch you want to tip, they dont always take it out right away

• Mark
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

There's usually a line for that, but sometimes I will just leave the tip on the table in something called "cash".

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

There is a "Tip" line on the receipt, the one that says "Merchants copy." Just add a good tip to that.

• 7 months ago

You could do that (10 percent and all), but I believe cash is more preferred.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.