Using silicone moulds?

Hi. I would like to know what materials you can use when with moulds made of silicone. I know there is resin and plaster but is there anything else ? Lightweight I'm looking for.Thank you.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

As mentioned you can cast almost anything in silicone molds since nothing much sticks to silicone.

You don't mention the size or shape of the item, or how lightweight the casting material should be though, and those things could matter.

For example, are you thinking of a silicone "push mold" like most you'd buy, or are you thinking of making a 3-D mold by pouring liquid silicone mold-making material around it, or using 2-part silicone putty to make a push mold (or even a 3D mold)?

For lighter-weight large items, you could use something like hypertufa or Celluclay or papier mache, etc.

For smaller ones you could use paper-based air-dry clays, or a polymer clay like Ultralight or Pluffy, or make the items more like shells than fully solid, or use a lightweight permanent armature inside polymer clay, for example, like tightly-wadded aluminum foil, or expanded polystyrene foam ("Styrofoam") or various other solid or hollow lightweight items/materials depending on the size and shape of your final item.

• Login to reply the answers
  • gerald
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

they are for the things you mention the silicon moulds came second moulds were made of many things depending on the finished object if you want to use different material use different moulds don't create difficulty where there is none

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes he s

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Papier mache (or papier mache 'clay' - ie paper pulp and adhesive) with suitable reinforcement can be quite a strong construction. Something like expanding foam can work well, but you may need a gelcoat to achieve an acceptable finish. All rather depends what you are making and what you expect to achieve.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Basically anything, except silicone, that you can pour at temperatures below ~200°C.

You can get lightweight by using resin (I'd prefer epoxy, but polyester should work as well) filled with glass bubbles/microballons. Or mold hollw shells, use other fillers,.. all depends on your piece and the requirements you put onto strength and mass.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.