brianna asked in PetsHorses · 7 months ago

Im skinny and lightweight and bounce on my horse(I ride western + do barrels). What do I do if I struggle tightening my thighs to stay on?

Favorite Answer

Do not try to grip with your knees or thighs. Sink weight into your heels and sit back on your pockets. Look up and out - WAY OUT. Lots of work at two point position, posting, posting without stirrups, and riding bareback will strengthen your core and position.

You bounce because you are bracing.

• John

It's the horse not you. Your probably riding a draft animal or trotter not a riding pony.

Riding ponies are ridden so they know how to carry riders even light ones.

IF you want comfort and that's the big IF of not being chucked by your pony as you ride it you lean forward against the neck and let her go into a gallop. Let her gallop then lean back and around and settle in. Push you butt down on the saddle.

You have to be comfortable and you want to let the pony gallop anyway at first so she feels good. Keep doing it all day. Try jumping too slow easy small jumps. And let your horse rear. Just to see things.

Horses stand up to look around.

Think "I have a bag of rocks" in each leg down to your foot.

By clenching your thighs you are raising your center of gravity putting you off balance and possibly giving your horse the wrong cues too.

*disclaimer: I am not a western rider. I ride huntseat and dressage* However, that being said I've worked a lot on sitting my butt down in the saddle for dressage. My trainer often tells me to really think about someone pushing down on my shoulders. I don't know why, but that visual really helps me. If you are pinching with your thighs, it will make you bounce more. In fact, you're probably also subconsciously pinching at the knee, which essentially creates a hinge and makes you bounce. You need to think about elongating your leg, wrapping it around the horse and moving your hips with the horse. A lot of sitting with no stirrups on a kind, patient horse (particularly on the lunge line) will help with sitting as well. My trainer also has us do lunge lessons in which we remove our stirrups and practice a number of exercises. I definitely won't do a good job of explaining them but I'll try.

1. Take your arms and point them straight at the ground, hand flat and fingers pointing at the ground. Think about reaching for the ground. Helps deepen seat and improve posture (which in turn will deepen your seat).

2. Reach down with one arm (don't lean forward) and grab your ankle on the same side as the arm you're using. Bring ankle up towards hip and ride this way, holding ankle. Improves seat and posture.

3. Hold onto front of saddle, bring knees together and have them touch in front of you while riding. Deepens seat.

4. Ride with a dollar (or another lightweight object that won't spook your horse) under your butt. If it falls out, you're doing it wrong.

• Snezzy

If you were to take up some sort of "English" discipline you would find great need to stay on without the help of a barrel-racing saddle. If you then added practice on the longe line riding with no reins and no stirrups you might attain a superb seat and good hands. The result just might improve your barrel racing times, and would at least allow you to sit on just about anything.

But I'm probably just spitting into the wind. One of my "Western Rider Only" buddies said, about English saddles, "You'll never catch me on one of them things."

On the other hand, horses will improve us all.

• Carl

You bounce because you re trying to hold on with your legs. That s making you ridged, so there s no way you can move with the horse. Relax, feel the movement of the horse, ride with the movement of the horse, not in spite of that movement. Riding is all about feel, timing, and balance. Feel of the horse, be in time with the horse, balance with the horse.