Eisenhower said it would be beneath the US to have military parades since we are not a banana boat dictatorship and try to bring peace...?

...to the world and not war. Should Trump heed his advice today?

You're right, this is actually what he said according to your link, lol: Eisenhower said ‘Absolutely not. We, the United States, are seeking peace, we are the pre-eminent power on earth. For us to try to imitate what the Soviets are doing in Red Square would make us look weak.’

Favorite Answer

Pfft. What would Eisenhower know about the military?

JFK was happy with parades?

• helene

Really? Because Eisenhower's inauguration was, well, very like a military parade.

You guys are having a conniption over nothing, and you're going to look ridiculous. Hell, you can get flyovers at a football game. WHAT is the big fat hairy deal, hmmmm?

Eisenhower didn't say that: "However, Eisenhower was not entirely opposed to military rallies. After the end of World War II, in August 1945, the general even joined Josef Stalin in Moscow for a victory parade at Red Square. And as we’ve mentioned, Ike’s inaugural parade in 1953 featured troops marching in formation, as well as a display of weaponry." "President Donald Trump’s reported request to create a grand military parade caused controversy in early 2018, with critics condemning the idea as “authoritarian.” Others urged tolerance of the plan, pointing out that previous U.S. presidents such as John F. Kennedy and Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower had included troops and weaponry in their inaugural parades."

• Smoking Joe

If you were not a lying shitberg, I might listen to your reasoning. Indeed, I might even agree with you.

Here is the problem. I know you are willing to lie and give rationale that has nothing to do with your real views.

When you leftists ACT like Colin was against the Betsy Ross flag on shoes because ti was against the national flag etiquette and you leftists actually tried to make that argument AFTER calling people racist for criticizing Colin, I don't trust you.

This is what I am talking about. I can't even have a conversation with you like you are a moral person. You are not. You are not honest. You do not want to debate the issues honestly. You don't want to come to good solutions. All you want to do is demonize those who hold a different opinion while you LIE to do so,.

SOOOO, in principle, I agree that I do not particularly like military parades. That being said, I was in the military and in MANY military parades and it is not like under Clinton or Bush or Obama, people were having a damn fit about it.

Now IFFFF I thought that people seeing the military tanks in a parade made them feel like they best not... say insult the dictator, then that would be one thing that would have me SERIOUSLY rising up against it.

INSTEAD, we live in a country where we have "My cartoon President" playing daily, so let's not pretend that your concern is anything but an academic debate.

Do you have NAY idea how many fly-overs from military jets occurred under Obama. Were you concerned it showed the US being too militaristic??? IF so, when did you express that view???

Now IFFFFF you want to say that NO president should be allowing ANY of this ACROSS the board, WITHOUT you trying to single out Trump, then by all means, let's have the discussion. That is not what you want, is it?

• Juana

When has Trump ever heeded good advice?

Trump knows more about things than old Generals like Eisenhower. Just think how lucky Eisenhower.was not to get bone spurs and miss World War 2 and all he had to show for it was a bowling trophy

• helene

Like you ever had any love for Eisenhower. Pull the other one.