asked in Consumer ElectronicsTiVO & DVRs · 5 months ago

I discovered that I can plug an HDMI cable from a laptop to a TV to watch Youtube. How many know what I know?

why anyone now buys DVDS when can watch on Youtube for free? I feel so stupid that I was still purchasing movies and documentaries on dvd just 6 months ago. and they are on Youtube! even stuff that I cant find on DVD is on youtube. I can watch all kinds of documentaries that cant even buy now.

Update:

BTW, HAS IT REALLY ONLY BEEN IN THE PAST 5 YEARS THAT YOUTUBE HAS BECOME VERY VERY POPULAR? (I MEAN I KNOW IT HAS BEEN POPULAR FOR A LONG TIME, BUT NOW EVERYONE IS STREAMING VIDEOS ON THEIR COMPUTER NOW INSTEAD OF WATCHING DVDS?

---------> WILL YOUTUBE START CHARGING THE HELL OUT OF PEOPLE SOON?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

ive been watching youtube on my chromecast for the last few years.

• 5 months ago

You were the last one to learn. It isn't like it's a deep dark secret. Congratulations on learning how to read the owner's manual. We are all so proud of you!

• 5 months ago

Stop trying to get everything for free.

• 5 months ago

I'm pretty sure that the majority of people who watch YT on their TV do so through streaming devices (like Roku, Apple TV, etc) rather than through a computer. I'm surprised you just barely found out about this. What's next? You just barely heard of Apple TV even though its been out for over a decade?

YouTube primarily makes money through advertisements. Just because you don't see ads doesn't mean that other people don't. There is still tons of content not available on YouTube, so it isn't a perfect "replacement" for certain shows, movies, documentaries, etc.

• 5 months agoReport

yeah, they are. which country are you maybe? I am in the usa and all documentaries I want to watch are free

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Known this at least a decade.

• 5 months agoReport

so why do people still buy DVDS?

• 5 months ago

There's likely many movies and documentaries you can't find on Youtube, Netflix or other network subscriptions.

Many people buy Bluray/4k resolution discs today for the improved quality and extras too.

• 5 months agoReport

how do they get away with having documentaries and movies on Youtube ? what happened to "Copy right laws", etc?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.