Anonymous

South Africa and the rest of Africa?

So I was thinking about how America is always trying to “help” Africa. It’s advertised that there are several villages with no clean water, no food, and no education. But then I also got to thinking about how there are also a couple of countries in Africa that are certainly well off. South Africa and Egypt I know are big tourist spots. Don’t get me wrong, based on America’s past, we are kind of obligated to help Africa become stronger. But I’m still just so confused how so many countries are in despair, while they’re also surrounded by other countries that are prospering. Does S. Africa and Egypt just say screw them and collects their checks and that’s the end? Is it maybe a tourist ruse? (Keep a couple of worn down villages in the middle of a prospering city). Or maybe are we keeping these people weak? I just can’t wrap my head around this

America keeps africa poor and funds boko haram....

• Mintee

America needs to take care of Flint Michigans water situation.. and all the failing bidge infrastructure that is falling apart, its homeless, its healthcare. its medical care.. its housing... they cant really afford to worry about the rest of the world.. but yes, Africa has its countries that surely can look into its neighbors and lend a hand..

• John

The reason is pretty simple - in a big picture sort of way - and is also much of the reason why the middle east just can't get it together. Tribalism. The notion that there is a chief - not quite the same thing as a king - who leads the people to glory. And the people have a tradition that this is how things are done. Those systems work well with 100 people, not so well with a million or ten million people.

• Toruko

My parent was employed in Central Africa. It had natural wealth

and vast unguarded borders. Evacuations happened on the

Congo River to escape cross-border threats. Some nations may

be safer than others but Africa as a whole is rightfully fearful of

itself. I understand the Chinese and Muslim's may eventually

may turn on each other within Africa. Upwrap what you have

been wearing. It isn't big enough to go around all the Africian

issues. What did I get ? Just a bracelet of Elephant hair and

copper mine waste rock worked into lovely art objects.

South Africa has its own problems. The wealthy whites kept the black Africans poor for a very long time through Apartheid. Now those areas are still poor. There are relatively stable, countries in Africa, like the Ivory Coast, but some countries have constant drought conditions and can't raise enough food. The very high birth rates also mean that even when a country improves is't Gross Domestic Product, the money gets split up among more and more people every year.

The same applies around the world - Mexico for example could be seen as less well off than its neighbour to the North, the US

Colonialism and capitalism doesn't help

America need to take care of it's own citizens first; the reason people come to America is only to do business mainly NY, City have more immigrants next to Boston and Maine. We have too many Studies have shown that raising the minimum wage does not reduce overall poverty in America. Research from the Employment Policies Institute shows that raising the minimum wage hurts the minimally skilled and the least-experienced citizen searching for jobs the most.