Can I get a refund if a technician identified a wrong problem?

I went to fix my PC, and the technician said the problem was most likely a Window s error, and not a HDD error. When he reset my HDD and tried to install the drivers, 2 didn t install, and he came to the conclusion that I d have to buy a new HDD, but he d set the HDD up for free for me. The PC is cheap so I don t want t have to fork out extra money. What are my rights on getting a refund?

well you can always refuse the service that they are offering and fix it yourself or you can pay for the part and be glad they are doing the reinstall and stuff for free. and next time maybe get a better technician to look at it for you. the really good ones will also check the drive status and make absolutely sure that the problem is that and not just a windows error.

He diagnosed your problem. Why should you get a refund??

• Lv 7

the words "most likely" are his safety line.

sometimes you don't know for sure until you attempt to fix it.

at this point, he shouldn't charge you for anything more than diagnosis, since he didn't fix anything, and what he DID do helped him diagnose the actual problem...

• Henry

No. You still have to pay another repairperson.

Read the contract you signed or the stores terms and conditions. That will tell you.

If you take a car into a garage the mechanic has to diagnose the problem. He then has to repair or replace the part he thinks (using his skills, education and experience) that is causing the problem. If that doesn't work he will replace the next most likely part he thinks is causing the issue.

A PC is no different.

none, he did the work, figuring out what is wrong with a computer is not an exact science, you often have to try several different things, you start with the least intrusive and least expensive,

If he F'ed it up, he should fix it for FREE!

• American Atheist

he is going to install the hard drive and reimage the machine for free, however he is not going to buy a new part for her