Could a CPU be made as a GPU? Could it be made just like a GPU? Installed on a PCI Express X16 slot vs CPU slot.?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Fulano
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Just some added detail to why this wouldn't work well:

CPUs are design to run a line of instructions as fast as possible. They used to have "software mode" for old games (say Half Life 1) but it was a terribly slow way to draw the graphics, because CPU had to calculate the drawing one piece at a time.

GPUs on the other hand have thousands of cores that each draw a small piece of the screen at the same time, so they can draw images much faster, but are very slow at running a line of instructions.

That's why computers are designed with two chips dedicated to each task.

Otherwise, I've never seen any way to put a GPU in a CPU slot or a CPU in a GPU slot. I know some software can run mathematical calculations on a GPU, like Data Mining. They do make CPUs with graphics cores on them like in laptops so you can get a low power graphics option.

• 4 months ago

A example of this is intel's integrated graphics, An intel i5 is a cpu but has integrated graphics so part of the cpu is used for graphic processing but you need to buy a cpu that has a integrated graphic driver etc.. not any random cpu can be used

• 4 months ago

No, it can't and would also be pointless as it's not designed to perform the same tasks as a GPU is.

• Aaron
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

They are called APUs.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

You mean like Intel's recently discontinued Xeon Phi? However you can't use that as a Graphics card.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Xeon-Phi-7120P-Coproc...

The architectural difference between a CPU and GPU is not similar. CPU's are designed to read instructions and decode while a GPU is simplistic.

• opurt
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

They actually did make CPUs that were slot loading for a short while (the Pentium III). They gave up on the experiment because it was too expensive and too limiting.

• Fulano
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

But wasn't that into a CPU socket? Not a PCI socket?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.