Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 5 months ago

Should kickboxing and strength training be enough for self defense?

Like kickboxing is for self defense and strength training is if the person I'm fighting managed to get me to the ground so I could pull him off and get backup to my striking

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Learn how to avoid being thrown, how to fall if thrown, how to defend from submissions,and how to get up. Then, kickboxing is enough.

• 5 months ago

In a self defense situation, while it's advisable "to avoid going to the ground", you need to be prepared to grapple Strength training and kickboxing are certainly going to give you an edge over 90+ percent of all unarmed, unskilled attackers. In a situation involving a "criminal assault & battery" against you, your best bet is to "run like hell and call the police from a safe location."

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Strength training is very beneficial for you but other than Kickboxing, you must try Krav maga , Brazilian Jujitsu or Krav Maga. Focus on your agility. That will make you a versatile fighter.

• 5 months ago

There are many aspects to self-defense that kickboxing does not include or teach anything about. That being said look for a place that has a good self-defense class and that also teaches awareness and avoidance which is really your first line of defense. Then you won't maybe have to match and use your meager skills against someone or those that you learn from something like kickboxing which in itself might not be adequate.

• Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

very good answer & advice

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You might try youtubing pressure points.

• Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

good commnts; also, sd is very different from sports: awareness, avoidance, running away, more than one to one, ground surface, visibility, balance, movement, techniques, countertechniques, balance, strength, relative capabilities, effective breakfalling, noroundtimelimits, noweightclasses, +

• Steel
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

That may prove effective if the opponent were just lying on you like dead weight... Chances are, though, that if the opponent takes you to the ground, some sort of lock, pin, or hold would be applied, in which case, brute strength itself likely wouldn't be enough to counter it effectively.

• Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

very good answer; also, kckbxng is often instructed & learned as a sport,which is quite different from sd: movement,reactions, techniques, countermovement, one to one, included countertechniques, awareness, balance, avoidance, all very different in sports cf sd situations; good question

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.