Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 7 months ago

Would you buy a house if the septic tank access was located inside?

Say you're house shopping. You love this home and it checks all the boxes. It's $525,000 but its on septic and the access to clean it out is located inside the home under a trap door inside what would be your 6 year old daughters bathroom. When it needs pumping the hose would have to run through a sliding glass door through her room and into the bathroom to empty it. Would you buy that house?

Not talking about a clean out. I mean a literal trap door over the main access to clean out the section of the tank that holds the solids. The clean out is located outside the house.

• chris
    Favorite Answer

No way in hell!

Personally I'd pass on any house with a septic tank.... but that sounds insane.

LOL there are literally houses just outsid e the city limits of Portland, Oregon that have just such a septup.

Yes.i would definitely

...….never in a fit

Yes I would buy it--maybe not the price. The septic tank is not located under the house, only the drain line and there is a rarely used access for a snake to go in. This is normally sealed off by the threaded fittings and is not trouble to anyone, even a little girl. She may look at it and see this mass machinery.

Normally the clean out is located outside near the house. But it is an anomaly. Unless you have root problems you will never use the clear out. If you do have root probllems (I did) tear out the pipe including the clear out and install hubless with the clear out outside where it belongs.

Not sure about that

Where would that be up to building codes ? ?

• JetDoc

I doubt that such a "feature" would be legal under today's building codes.

That may be a cleanout but I doubt it is the way the tank gets pumped out. A good company will locate the septic tank , remove the dirt on top of it and remove the concrete access doors from the top and pump out all the solids all while being able to see what they are doing. A typical cleanout pipe is only 4" wide and would not allow the hose from a pumping truck to pass thru it.

looked at one LONG time ago that had the septic tank UNDER the garage, but was financed by the G.I. Bill, and they wouldn't touch it ......................

Source(s): Retired ARMY SFC.
    • Lv 7

That's what I thought. Creeping corruption.