Robert asked in SportsMartial Arts · 5 months ago

Do you think martial arts works in real life if needed?

During my younger days while going to college and in the reserves I supplemented my income with tending bar as well as ran a couple of them.  I even went to work at one point for a nationwide company that had a chain of gentlemen's clubs.  Some of those places were or could be pretty rough sometimes and I was not a big guy at only 5'10" and 165 lbs.  My training in martial and fighting arts served be quite well several times when I had to deal with someone on a physical level and in some of those cases they were bigger, stronger individuals than myself.  You have to remember also though that I studied and had trained in martial arts for several years already before this.  That was before many of the schools became watered down and classes made fun and for everyone and also marketed towards females also.  Back then the training was hard core and no nonsense and also the amount of contact was harder because this was before things like safety gear and this country becoming sue happy.

The problem with martial arts today is that classes have been watered down and the standards for promotion lowered to keep students motivated, coming and paying to continue their training.  That and they don't have to work and train for several years to acquire a black belt in most styles or types of martial arts and especially the more popular ones.  Instead a person can acquire a black belt in three years or less in a lot of cases and that is with only training a few times a week for an hour.  That is totally inadequate for most to develop their skills to a sufficient level to  defend themselves in a lot of cases

Yes martial arts does work in real life, but sometimes in some situations it will not work.

for example if you're in the alleyway or in the parking lot and there's some people that got sticks and bats and knives and guns, unless you're Bruce Lee, Donnie yen, Chuck Norris or Steven seagal, there's no way out.

Try and train in more combative martial arts like wing Chun or krav maga

Basics worked for couple of my students against school bullies. keep it simple on defense , react as trained , block to stop, drop with hard counter and then 'Git'

I know it does. My daughter has been training most of her life, and she has used it several times. Obviously depends on the situation, the martial art, how long/well you’ve trained, probably other factors.

• kansas5 months agoReport

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzTVkmunA_T/

Your opponent can't fight if he can't breathe. Choose a martial art that specializes in "choking" and you'll find out how well martial arts work in real life.

• JetDoc

Better than NOT having the knowledge of how to defend oneself from an attacker.

Yesssssssssssssssss but not the traditional ones

• David

Of course it does because you can use it to over power the shop keeper of a shop you want to rob.

• Murzy

As long as you stick to basics, it works.

tbh, no, but it can be a great way to exercise + hobby!