Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 7 months ago

Going to be in Michigan next month with my 12 year old. We will be in between Flint and Detroit. Best city to visit in Canada while there?

I want to take him across the border into Canada and just have dinner one evening so he can say he s been to Canada. We will only have about 1/2 a day to spend, so it would need to be a town within 1-2 hour drive.

• Jay P
    Favorite Answer

That depends on how far into Canada you want to drive. If you cross the border from Detroit, you'll be in Windsor. An hour or two from Windsor won't get you very far. You could either drive north from Windsor to go to Sarnia and cross back into the US via Port Huron, MI or you could go east and maybe get to Chatham and turn back to return to Windsor.

Personally I would suggest staying in Windsor. Windsor isn't exactly a tourist hot spot but it's the largest city in the area and you could walk along the riverfront which has some decent parks. If your son likes planes, there is the Canadian Historical Aircraft Association museum by the Windsor airport.

• Jay P

Each way, yes. But I was thinking of the total driving time, a little less than 1 hour each direction to Chatham and back. The other reason I did not mention London is London, like Windsor, is not a major tourist destination.

You should have medical insurance to cross safely into Canada, not to mention a passport or enhanced driver's licence.

I guess you haven't looked at a map yet. Your choices are Sarnia and Windsor. Those are the only two places nearby where you can cross into Canada. Windsor is a medium-size city, Sarnia is a small one. Windsor is probably closer to where you'll be.