promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
PHILIP asked in PetsReptiles · 11 months ago

How long can a lost reticulated python survive in British weather?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • O Man
    Lv 6
    11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

As long as it can access some form of drinking water, and is able to stay warm (ie remaining in a heated building in winter) a good while.- I heard of someone lossing a tropical snake in a UK appartment, only to have it show up a year later.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Ryan
    Lv 4
    11 months ago

In warm enough weather and a water source it could survive till winter. The Winters there get to cold and it most likely would parish unless it can find a very warm place to get.

• 11 months ago

They are a tropical sort, but could survive if they can find shelter and warmth through winters.

They couldn't survive harsh winters I have, but have become an invasive species in the south east US, particularly south Florida/Everglades.

What I don't understand here is 'Lost',,snakes can be escape artists, but this would be an exotic for UK.

They can get awful big too, bound to be spotted sooner or later.

• 11 months ago

It's summer now; so perhaps until the weather turns cold in Fall. Perhaps longer, if it finds sources of artificial heat.

It will not have too much trouble finding food. Plenty of small wild animals in the UK. And it will be less active and need less food in the shorter days of the year.

In Chicago, which as you know has winter temperatures well below freezing, and even below Zero Fahrenheit, there is a feral population of Quaker parakeets, a bird native to the South American tropics. This is just an example of the ability of tropical animals to adapt to sub-freezing weather.

• Not Really a Doctor
      Lv 6
      11 months agoReport

They found a four foot long alligator in the pond in Humboldt Park recently. I wonder if it's been able to hibernate over the winter. It got pretty cold here (-25F) in January.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 11 months ago

I wouldn't say the weather would be much of a problem. (Not atm anyway.) Finding its food might be though. Wild life isn't as abundant in the UK as it might be in the pythons natural environment.

• 11 months ago

Until the end of the heatwave.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.