sally asked in PetsReptiles · 7 months ago

Can someone help me tell what gender my Reeves turtles are?

The top two photos is one turtle and the bottom two are of the other!

The top is currently named Jeffery and the bottom ,Olly.

Jeffery is 4 years old in August and Olly is 4 years old in December so not a huge difference in age however, olly seems so much smaller than Jeffery! Based on information I have found on the internet , I would guess olly (bottom) could be female due to the tail being shorter but I’m finding it difficult to find anything else to determine the sex that in internet has suggested.

Thanks for any help in advance!

• patty

my sister has 2 cats and she thought one was a girl so she called her Ruby. when she took to the vet to be desexed he said it was a male. She changed his name to Mr Ruby.

• sally7 months agoReport

I also have two cats and thought they were both girls and named them Evie and Elsie and when taking them to the vets at 6 months to be spayed we were told that Elsie was male so his name is now elvis haha

• Darby

I'm basing my opinion on their tails:

Jeffery is definitely a male. His tail is long, thick at the base, and the cloaca (the opening on the underside of the tail) is farther down the tail toward the tip.

Olly's tail looks more like that of a female to me. It's smaller and the cloaca is closer to the base of the tail, where it joins the body.

The article below may help you determine what they are. If I had to guess I'd say you may have two males though.

https://www.wikihow.com/Tell-If-a-Turtle-Is-Male-o...

• oikoσ

Hard to tell but I think that both are males. Look at the vent. When the tail is held straight back, is the vent well beyond the edge of the carapace? If so, the turtle is an adult male. If not, you have a female or an immature.

It's a transgender.