What size is the socket I need for axle nut on 2005 chevy impala it has the 3.4 motor?

Make sure you use an impact socket for strength.

Yeah, it could be 35 to 38 depending on the axle half shaft manufacturer and nut style. Some of the factory ones have a 12 point star pattern but the replacements are usually a regular 6 point crush edged stake nut. They have the 1/2" drive impact 6 point deep socket sets at harbor freight. You'll also need a small center punch to open the stake nut groove divot and re stake it on the new nut in the spindle groove.

Let me warn you now, do not remove the brake parts first, you will need someone to hold the brake hard when you bust those CV shaft spindle nuts loose and do the same when torquing them back on to prevent trans-axle damage!

• Bill

Front or rear axle? Measure it.

• Robert8 months agoReport

Front axle

36mm. I would suggest a 6 point socket for it because they are less likely to strip the nut. You are going to be putting a lot of torque on it and need as much grip as possible. 159 ft lbs torque. I doubt they come in more than one depth. They sell the sockets at AutoZone for approx $10.00.